Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Introduction - An Outreachy 2020 Applicant

From: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 20:10:56 -0700

Richard Sharpe wrote:
Amanda Shafack wrote:

Good day.

I'm Amanda Shafack, an Outreachy 2020 applicant who wishes to
contribute to the "Add Git protocol support to Wireshark" project.

I have some experience coding in C and I hope to enhance
my skill set by contributing to this project.

In addition, I'm fascinated by network protocols and it's really
exciting to get my hands around these concepts in a real-world
project.

I'm currently going through the project description and contribution
guidelines.

Welcome. There are many helpful people on the list.

It would be useful if you can point us to a protocol description
document but that can wait until help is needed. It may be that all
the online resources are sufficient, but if not, do not hesitate to
use this list to ask questions.

There's an overview of Git's HTTP protocol in the Pro Git book:

  https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Internals-Transfer-Protocols

The official protocol spec in git.git (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git)
is split between a few files:

  Documentation/technical/protocol-common.txt:
    conventions for protocol docs

  Documentation/technical/pack-protocol.txt:
    overview of Git protocol

  Documentation/technical/protocol-capabilities.txt:
    optional capabilities

  Documentation/technical/protocol-v2:
    protocol v2, the new default (more about this is at
    https://opensource.googleblog.com/2018/05/introducing-git-protocol-version-2.html)

  Documentation/technical/http-protocol.txt:
    how this works with http

  Documentation/technical/pack-format.txt:
    packed representation of Git objects (used both on disk and over
    the wire)

Amanda, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask
(#git-devel on IRC is the best place for that, and email works as
well).  I am there around 15:00-24:00 UTC most days.  In addition to
working on your initial starter contributions, we can start to put
together a plan for the project.

Richard, to set expectations: the internship period for accepted
interns starts in December: https://www.outreachy.org/apply/project-selection/.
Until then, potential interns are often not free full time, so we
focus on smaller contributions that help get their feet wet in the
codebase.

Excited,
Jonathan