Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: ask.wireshark service unavailable

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard () IGT com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 14:15:50 +0000

From: Wireshark-users [mailto:wireshark-users-bounces () wireshark org] On Behalf Of David Aldrich
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 11:16 AM
To: wireshark-users () wireshark org
Subject: [Wireshark-users] ask.wireshark service unavailable

On https://ask.wireshark.org when I try to login or recover my account I see:
Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try
again later.
It's been like this for a week or more.  Is there a site problem?

In case this happens again to someone else, I thought I'd explain what happened here.  In this case, the user had an
account on the old Q&A site (now at https://osqa-ask.wireshark.org/), so when he tried to log into the new site at
https://ask.wireshark.org/questions/, he didn't actually have an account there.  His old account wasn't migrated
because his reputation points on the old site were below the 25 point threshold that Gerald applied in order to avoid
migrating over all the spam accounts, explained more fully at
https://osqa-ask.wireshark.org/questions/60424/osqa-is-unmaintained-whats-next.

"Service Unavailable" is certainly a strange way to report, "No account exists with that username", but that seems to
have been what was reported.  Incidentally, I tried logging in with an invalid account, but it just caused the login
page to be refreshed for me.

- Chris
P.S. David created a new account on the new site and I restored his reputation points from the old site, although I
wasn't able to restore any of his badges.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is the property of International Game Technology PLC and/or its subsidiaries and
may contain proprietary, confidential or trade secret information.  This message is intended solely for the use of the
addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message
from your system. Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is
strictly prohibited.