Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Tshark: proto_tree not created on first pass with tap defined

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 19:55:15 -0800

The underlying problem here appears to be that the TRANSUM post-dissector is not only adding stuff to the protocol
tree, which obviously doesn't need to be done if there is no protocol tree, but is also doing *analysis* of the packet
information.

The latter of those should *not* be done in a dissector - it should be done in a tap.

Unfortunately, *currently*, taps are run after all dissectors, including post-dissectors, are run, which might not work
for this purpose.  If so, what we probably would need here is to have a mechanism to allow taps to be run "early".  For
now, we could define "early" as "before the post-dissectors are run".