Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: TRANSUM C Port

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 09:26:34 +0100

On 2 September 2016 at 09:16, Paul Offord <Paul.Offord () advance7 com> wrote:

Hi,

I’m porting TRANSUM to C.  I’m about 80% through the job.  I want to
submit it for consideration to be included in the Wireshark distribution.
It’s a custom postdissector and so lives in the plugin directory alongside
Gryphon, MATE, etc.

·        Can I submit the code to the Git repository during development
or should I wait until I have a working version?

I understand git branches a little and I’ve created local branches and
I’ve read the Contribute Your Changes section of the Developer’s Guide.

Thanks and regards…Paul

The submission will have to go through the review process at some point, a
submission earlier in the process might point out issues to save effort on
the remaining parts to be completed.  The other aspect of submission for
review is that it would also allow test builds to be done on both Windows
and Ubuntu platforms via the Petri-dish builder.

Note that you should squash any commits in your local branch before
submitting the changes to keep a single change in Gerrit.  Using git-review
helps a lot here, highly recommended.

If you do decide to submit before it's complete, prefix the commit message
with "[WIP]" so that it won't accidentally be merged, the prefix can be
removed from the message when ready.

A bugzilla entry (referenced in the commit message with a Bug: xxxx footer)
with attached sample captures will also help the review.

--
Graham Bloice