Wireshark mailing list archives

Some questions about Wireshark monitor mode support on Windows

From: Yang Luo <hsluoyb () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 02:41:00 +0800

Hi list,

I just released Npcap 0.07 R4:
https://github.com/nmap/npcap/releases

This version Npcap already supports monitor mode setting using Wireshark
GUI or command line.

1) For GUI, if you check the "Capture packets in monitor mode" option in
"Edit Interface Settings", your adapter will turn into monitor mode
immediately.
2) For CLI, run "dumpcap" command with -I option, your adapter will turn
into monitor mode right before capturing.

And I have several questions:

1) In "Edit Interface Settings", if I check "Capture packets in monitor
mode" option, my adapter will turn into monitor mode immediately. But if I
uncheck it again, my adapter won't come back to managed mode. I think the
right behavior is the mode should be changed back to managed mode if the
user uncheck the option.
2) After I check "Capture packets in monitor mode" option, the "Mon. Mode"
column in "Capture Options" won't change from "disabled" to "enabled". This
behavior is weird.
3) libpcap API (wpcap.dll) doesn't export a pcap_get_rfmon function, which
means Wireshark can't get the current operation mode in any way. Maybe
before starting Wireshark, the adapter is already in monitor mode (like
setting it using WlanHelper), the "Capture packets in monitor mode" option
in "Edit Interface Settings" won't reflect this initial state. because
Wireshark can't obtain the current operation mode.
4) Wireshark does nothing after capturing with "Capture packets in monitor
mode" option checked. I think Wireshark should be responsible to change the
mode back to managed when the capture ends, if it changed the mode to
monitor when capture starts.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Cheers,
Yang