Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: checklicenses.py

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 18:52:39 -0700

On Aug 8, 2016, at 6:30 PM, João Valverde <joao.valverde () tecnico ulisboa pt> wrote:

What license, if any, should we put on our man pages?

I think we can just use the standard Wireshark GPLv2+ header here, with copyright to Gerald and contributors.

Is the GPL an appropriate license for documentation, or would the GFDL be more appropriate?

        https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#FDL

For what it's worth, the Bison man page on my machine has no license on it.  I don't know whether any other GNU
software that comes with a man page puts a license on the man page; perhaps they don't care enough about man pages, as
opposed to Texinfo documents, to bother with a license.  bison.texinfo is licensed under the GFDL:

        https://opensource.apple.com/source/bison/bison-14/doc/bison.texinfo