Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Latest libnghttp2 checkin broken

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 19:29:52 +0200

Hello Alexis,

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 03:23:37PM +0200, Alexis La Goutte wrote:
On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de> wrote:

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 10:42:01AM +0200, Alexis La Goutte wrote:
On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 1:46 AM, Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de> wrote:

The latest checkin to libnghttp2 should not have happend:
a) it breaks compilation on my system
  /home/jmayer/work/wireshark/git/epan/nghttp2/nghttp2_hd.c: In
function
‘hd_inflate_remove_bufs_with_name’:
/home/jmayer/work/wireshark/git/epan/nghttp2/nghttp2_hd.c:1736:10:
error:
variable ‘rv’ set but not used [-Werror=unused-but-set-variable]
   size_t rv;
          ^

What compile and release do you using ?

I have found and fixed the problem: I did a non-debug build (see commit
f708c5cb56135515b6b777f144e90d488870c470)
So we would probably need at least one buildbot to build with NDEBUG set to
catch this.

What is a "NDEGUG" build ?
Because, i will push the patch to the upstream

A build without debugging code, i.e. assert(stuff) evaluates to nothing.
Call it a release build if you want.

b) it can only have been committed with --no-verify as it contains
deprecated
   functions (checkAPI.pl). I hit this during conflict resolution (git
commit).

pre-commit tools is no perfect... it is for help when commit code and
there is some false postive...

Please verify on your system and let me know the results. Here's the
result on mine:
jmayer@egg nghttp2(master)$ ../../tools/checkAPIs.pl *
Error: Found prohibited APIs in nghttp2_helper.c: ntohl,ntohs,htonl,htons
Error: Found prohibited APIs in nghttp2_mem.c: malloc,calloc,realloc,free
Error: Found prohibited APIs in nghttp2_net.h: ntohl,ntohs,htonl,htons

For me checkAPIs is only for dissectors file
You have the same type of warning on wiretap folder :

wireshark/wiretap$ ../tools/checkAPIs.pl *
Error: Found prohibited APIs in ascend.c: malloc,free
Error: Found prohibited APIs in ascend_scanner.c: malloc,realloc,free
Error: Found prohibited APIs in k12text.c: malloc,realloc,free

No, I don't, because I do out of tree builds and all of these are generated
file ;-)

What I don't understand is, that if you have the pre-commit hook installed,
you should never have been able to commit these files.
I hit the problem when I did a "git commit -a" during merge conflict resolution.

We currently have one file that I know of that "validly" fails the pre-commit
script, and that is doc/packet-PROTOABBREV.c. I'm not aware of any other file
(that gets checked into the repo) that should be allowed to fail the pre-commit
hook.

 Ciao
   Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>