Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Undissected reserved fields

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 17:54:56 +0100

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Mar 1, 2015, at 4:58 AM, Michal Labedzki <michal.labedzki () tieto com>
wrote:

Personally, I always dissect reserved fields. Please do not forget
that there are many bit-reserved fields too. This probably implies
that we want to create filter for them (hf items), to keep the same
look for all fields in bitfield.

The look for reserved fields should be

        Reserved

or

        000. .... .... ....: Reserved

so they don't need individual hf_items.

I am not sure if _ws.reserved is fine in bitfield.

If it doesn't work, we should make it work.

For other fields, I think also is good idea to create new
filters, because purpose of reserved field is to be used in future,
right? (in my practise... I think not...)

"Reserved" means "reserved", as in "we're reserving these bits in case we
ever want to use them in the future".  When they *do* get used, we can add
a field for them; even if each reserved field had its own field, we'd
*still* have to change the field if the bits in question are used.

The inspiration for the add_mbz and add_reserved functions was that the
person who started the thread explicitly *didn't* want the list of
filterable fields filled up with extra fields for each individual reserved
area.

proto_tree_add_reserved_mbz()? (if use _ws.reserved)
Or maybe...
proto_tree_add_item(..., ENC_LITTLE_ENDIAN | ENC_MBZ)?  # ENC_MBZ,
seems to be similar format like ENC_ASCII, ENC_UTF8...

It's not really an encoding - there's nothing being encoded.

By the way...
Add expert info if ENC_ASCII is not ASCII? The same for UTF8.

The same for *all* string encodings in which not all octet sequences are
valid.