Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-commits] master cf142c6: Get Wireshark to compile with afl-gcc.

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 15:07:55 -0800

On Jan 24, 2015, at 2:43 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org> wrote:

These were fixes that had to be made prior to fuzzing. As far as I can
tell they fall into the "squelch a compiler warning" category. afl-gcc
generates an instrumented executable, which you can then run under
afl-fuzz (the actual fuzzer). According to the documentation the
instrumentation isn't strictly necessary but it does enable more
intelligent and efficient fuzzing.

So on what version of GCC is the version of afl-gcc you're running based?  That might either be an incomplete data flow
analysis in that version of GCC, or might be AFL extending the data flow analysis but not doing a complete job of it.

We've thrown in other unnecessary initializations to squelch warnings from incomplete data flow analysis, so I'm not
bothered by that; my concern was that the data flow analysis had found a path through the code where it really *could*
use an uninitialized variable.