Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark runtime messages we don't want to see

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 00:32:00 +0200

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 01:44:41PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
On Apr 30, 2015, at 9:58 AM, Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de> wrote:

jmayer@egg epan$ wireshark
../../asn1/c1222/packet-c1222-template.c:1427:3: runtime error: null pointer passed as argument 1, which is
declared to never be null
../../asn1/c1222/packet-c1222-template.c:1427:3: runtime error: null pointer passed as argument 2, which is
declared to never be null

That probably means that oid_string2encoded() failed.

Pascal Quantin's working on a fix for this:

      https://code.wireshark.org/review/8251

but presumably the failure means either that

      1) you specified an invalid (not a syntactically-valid OID) setting for the "Base OID to use for relative OIDs"
preference for the C.1222 dissector

or

      2) you have no setting for it so that the string is null (which is, as far as I know, not a syntactically-valid
OID)

and I strongly suspect it's 2) here, so perhaps that code should also special-case null strings.  (Ultimately, we
should catch syntactically-invalid OIDs rather than just silently ignoring them.)

Yes, it's case 2)

Hopefully, the code also can handle a missing OID.

 Ciao
       Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>