Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark runtime messages we don't want to see

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 00:29:13 +0200

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 01:08:59PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
On Apr 30, 2015, at 1:00 PM, Roland Knall <rknall () gmail com> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de> wrote:
ERROR: Cannot connect to ADB: Connection refused
INFO: Please check that adb daemon is running.

Do not know about the others, but
"ERROR: Cannot connect to ADB: Connection refused
INFO: Please check that adb daemon is running."

is the new androiddump extcap utility, and I think it should be ok, that this message is printed, as it is an
external tool, not Wireshark itself.

Is it run whenever you start Wireshark, even if you don't have any Android development tools installed?

Correct. I don't have any Android development environment installed and it appears all
the time.

If not, is it still run even if you don't happen to be debugging an Android device at the time?

It should perhaps try to distinguish, if possible, between "failure to connect to ADB when you're actually debugging
an Android device" and "failure to connect to ADB because {you're not using any Android development tools right now,
you don't even have Android development tools installed, you don't have any Android devices on which to develop,
etc.}".

Ciao
     Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>