Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: CMake support out of source plugin compilation

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 09:01:03 +0000

On 20 November 2014 08:53, Maarten Bezemer <maarten.bezemer () gmail com>
wrote:

On Thursday 13 November 2014 15:15:26 you wrote:
On Thursday 13 November 2014 13:56:26 Graham Bloice wrote:
While I'm all for making life easier for devs, if no-one else has
identified this as a need, i.e. only you find it worthwhile, then we
will
end up with stuff not generally used in the repo and then who will be
maintaining these bits of CMake?

[1] is an attempt I found to have out of source builds. But it never got
fed
back to Wireshark and consists (eventually) outdated scripts. By
integrating such functionality, keeps the development scripts up-to-date.

I am also willing to write a (wiki) document explaining the out of source
builds (when my patches get accepted) to help out others as well. As the
current information about this subject on the Internet is very minimal.

The maintenance of my patches is not too hard I think. I mainly use
(cmake)
scripts that are already available. The changes I made are to make them
more
generic, e.g. by getting rid of hard-coded paths. All scripts are
also/already used when Wireshark itself gets build.

Is there anything left for me to do or to explain?
I would like gain some momentum either direction (approved or abandoned),
so I
know whether my current (out of source) plug-in implementation can be used
at
work or not.

I was hoping to get a comment from Joerg Mayer  (our resident CMake dev)
but he's been a bit quiet lately.

I'm really struggling for time at the moment to test and comment on it
myself.

--
Graham Bloice