Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: qtshark startup time ~1 minute just printing messages

From: Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 20:47:51 -0400

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org> wrote:

On 9/9/13 3:18 PM, Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 05:38:27PM -0400, Evan Huus wrote:
This is actually quite reproducible (on my machine at least). If I
maximize
the qtshark window immediately upon startup then the splash seems to do
full-window redraw for every change, and takes a significantly
longer-than-usual amount of time to finish.

Ah, that explains that last time I got annoyed by this it was more like
1,75 minutes. The window was larger.

What happens if you disable antialiasing in the overlay or set its
opacity to 1.0? I can't duplicate this (to any appreciable level, at
least) on any of my test machines.

No change - the splash is marginally faster in general, but it still slows
down substantially when the window size is changed. I suspect it's some
condition that is accidentally disabling the "Only update every
splash_register_freq milliseconds" check, I will try and debug further.