Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark PIDL generated dissectors

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 15:38:34 -0700

On Oct 7, 2013, at 3:05 PM, ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg () gmail com> wrote:

The tool.
I think that wireshark has been used a de-facto fork for PIDL the tool
since many many years. But a fork that is occasionally synced back
with upstream.
That is the only way we can make sure that we will always be able to
even compile the IDL in wireshark to a working dissector.

If you mean "the tool as a whole", not just "the back end", then

        1) there needs to be a spec for PIDL to which both PIDL processors would conform, and it should be sufficiently
complete that any of Samba's PIDL files can be processed by a (non-buggy) conforming processor ("non-buggy" meaning
that making it actually work is the responsibility of the maintainers of the processor);

        2) the maintainers of the spec, i.e. the Samba people, should inform us when the spec changes;

        3) the maintainers of the Wireshark PIDL processor, i.e. the Wireshark team, are responsible for changing that
processor to follow the spec.