Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark PIDL generated dissectors

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 15:01:26 -0700

On Oct 7, 2013, at 2:40 PM, Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de> wrote:

If I understand it correctly, he is talking about the backend:

Meaning "PIDL, the tool...".

I think it'd be a mistake to fork PIDL-the-language (or the protocol descriptions written in PIDL-the-language) unless
there are some places where correct dissection, or sufficiently complete dissection for Wireshark's purposes, or some
useful new Wireshark feature, requires a *language* change rather than, say, a specific-to-Wireshark conformance file.
Forking the language or the protocol descriptions would make it more difficult to pick up Samba's improvements to the
PIDL descriptions.

If there's a reasonably standard interface into which backends plug, so that the Samba team can maintain the front end
and we can maintain the Wireshark back end, then I think it would make sense for the Wireshark team to be the ones who
maintain the Wireshark backend, so that we can adapt it to our needs without having to involve the Samba team (unless
the interface between the front and back ends needs to change for either Samba reasons or Wireshark reasons; hopefully
that won't happen very often if at all).