Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: proto_field_is_referenced

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws () darkjames pl>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 21:24:38 +0100

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 02:23:54PM -0500, mmann78 () netscape net wrote:
I was leaning more towards useless because I can't think of a scenario where tree (is already) != NULL, yet a
dissector would be called without having its proto field referenced.

I don't understand this. For example 'frame.*', 'ip.*' is not referenced, still frame and ip dissector must be called
because 'tcp.*' might be refereced. Could you elaborate?

Kuba.