Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: tshark option for reassembled fragment output

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan () acmepacket com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 05:18:33 +0000

On Mar 27, 2013, at 10:38 PM, Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com>
 wrote:

So why make it optional?

Because -2 causes tshark to buffer, which we shouldn't be imposing on
the user 'by accident'. Additionally, if we keep -2 a separate option
then -d will be usable during a live capture, which fixes another
long-standing issue in tshark.

You lost me... why would '-d'/'-Y' be usable during a live capture, but '-R' not?

I thought '-R' was only *unusable* with live capturing when the '-w' writing output file was also set, on purpose due
to concerns of privilege separation (ie, bug 2234).  I put the same restriction in my patch for '-Y': it can't be used
if both live-capture and writing to file are set.

-hadriel