Wireshark mailing list archives

Code sharing between TLS and DTLS

From: Hauke Mehrtens <hauke () hauke-m de>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 15:32:54 +0200

The DTLS rfc6347 describes just the differences to tls (ssl) and these
two protocols are very similar. Currently the wireshark dissectors for
tls and dtls are not sharing much code, just at little in ssl-utils.c.

I did some improvements for the DTLS dissector and much of this was
copying the code from tls and doing some small modifications to it. I
would like to share more code between these two dissectors.

Attached is a patch which makes dtls use the ssl code for analyzing the
Server- and Client-Hello extensions.

I assume that it is possible to remove more than 50% or the code in
epan/dissectors/packet-dtls.c by just using the functions from
epan/dissectors/packet-ssl.c.

I am writing this to the mailing list to get some opinions if this is
the right approach for this problem or if it should stay like it is now.
If I get positive feedback I will try to make dtls use more code from
the ssl dissector.

Hauke