Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Simpifying exporting DLL symbols

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 13:41:17 -0800

On Feb 26, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Bálint Réczey <balint () balintreczey hu> wrote:

I have created the attached patch to control symbol visibility using
C defines instead of .def and .sym files.

You might want to use comments on #else and #endif to make it a bit easier to figure out what #else is the opposite of
and what #endif terminates.

It is expected to work on every platform and every build system we support,

"Work" as in "not fail to compile", or "work" as in "keep symbols from being exported outside the library if not marked
as being exported by the library"?

At least some UN*X compilers might support GCC-style __attribute__(visibility(...)) options, but I don't know whether
all the ones that would be used to compile Wireshark, on platforms where the linker can hide symbols, do.