Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: GSOC ideas: protocol buffers dissector and Fileshark

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 08:56:05 -0700

On Apr 18, 2013, at 8:34 AM, okordy <okordy () o2 pl> wrote:

Second idea: Fileshark
I've been thinking of such project a long before GSoC was announced. I really miss such tool and I really would like
to see it. So, I would be glad do it by myself during summer.
I think, the main concern with this project is to use as much common code as possible and maintain UI consistency
with Wireshark.

...except in those places where the UI *should* be different.  For example, when showing a JPEG, Wireshark doesn't have
multiple items in the "packet list" pane, because the JPEG is in, for example, a single HTTP message.  However, in
Fileshark, the dissector might want to have separate items in the list pane for different parts of the JPEG file.

I think it would be reasonable to make it possible to use the same dissectors as for Wireshark

Yes, that's a lot of the point of Fileshark.