Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Extending Randpkt Protocol Coverage

From: Sonny Tavernier <sonny.tavernier () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 23:23:35 +0200

I'm not familiar with PIN but I from your proposal I understand it's
something like the valgrind framework? The idea is certainly an
interesting one, though if my understanding is correct it sounds like
an awful lot of work for one summer - I could be wrong though.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes Pin is a dynamic binary instrumentation framework like Valgrind but it
provides a rich API set which allows to build powerful tools easily.

Actually, identifying all the branches of a running program, which is the
main function of the "improved fuzzer", can be achieved whith a small Pin
tool (~100 lines). The remaining is only algorithms.

If I understood your idea well, both can be implemented in 12 weeks for
sure.
I'll take a closer look at randptk utility.

Feel free to suggest improvements or additional ideas.

Sonny