Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Question about seeing Latency in TCP conversations

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 09:45:05 +1100

Johnny,

The easiest way is to examine the calculated field "tcp.analysis.ack_rtt".
This appears in the details window if you have TCP Sequence Analysis on.

[image: image.png]

You have to be a little careful when using this though, as Wireshark
sometimes miscalculates this in the prescence of Duplicate ACKs. The best
way to use it (taking out effects of the server processing delay), is
during the initial handshake. So what I do is filter for "tcp.flags ==
0x12" (which is the SYN/ACK) and plot tcp.analysis.ack_rtt or add it as a
column.

[image: image.png]

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99 () gmail com