Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Windows build environment

From: "Graham Bloice" <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:04:38 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org [mailto:wireshark-dev-
bounces () wireshark org] On Behalf Of Joerg Mayer
Sent: 12 January 2012 00:19
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Windows build environment

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:23:21AM -0000, Graham Bloice wrote:
On Jan 6, 2012, at 7:46 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:

I've also wondered about moving on from nmake and converting to
MSBuild.  This is only usable from VS2008 or later though.  Any
thoughts
on
that?

If we do so, can we continue to have lists of source files in
Makefile.common,
rather than, say, having to duplicate such a list in other files
(which developers might forget to do)?  Or, at least, can we
automatically
generate
the relevant MSBuild files from files such as Makefile.common?

Although I haven't investigated I would expect MSBuild to be able to
absorb such input and make it useable, either directly or by a task to
generate the required file.

As an alternative: How about making building with cmake work for Windows?
After that, maybe the following article has some clues:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1459482/how-to-use-cmake-for-non-
interactive-build-on-windows

I'm willing to support anyone who is willing to tackle this, it's just
that I don't
have a Windows system to do this on my own.

My initial motivation was more about reducing dependencies on stuff that
Windows folks don't normally have installed, e.g. Cygwin, and also to move
things forward a bit in terms of supported build technologies, although I
don't suppose nmake is going away anytime soon.

Last time I looked at CMake on Windows it didn't work for me, but I didn't
look too hard.  IIUC CMake is a "Makefile" generator, can it do all the
stuff we currently do in nmake which is a fair bit more than just working
out dependencies and compiling and linking the required modules?

CMake's ability to generate Visual Studio project files could be attractive
to some as well.