Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: modelines

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:13:33 -0700

On Sep 28, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Bill Meier wrote:

On 9/28/2011 4:57 PM, Jeff Morriss wrote:

I'll argue that *tab*stops should be 8 until someone shows me how to
tell all the various terminal programs I end up using that the file I'm
currently looking at (in 'less' or 'grep' or plain old 'cat') that the
file in question is using an alternative tabstop. (Or until I'm blue in
the face or dead or whatever ;-).)

+5 !

+10^(10^100)

The UNIX tty driver, the default tab settings you get from e.g. tset, and the default tab settings in most if not all
UN*X terminal emulators do 8-space tabs.  (Xcode didn't get the memo, which is why

        http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/autofs/autofs-207/autofs.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj

has a bunch of entries that say "indentWidth = 8".)