Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: modelines

From: Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:47:41 -0600

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 01:51:05AM +0000, Chris Maynard wrote:

however, I am wondering if 8 is simply used more than 4 because that's
what the Wireshark modeline generation tool happens to default to,

I believe the GNU standard is for an 8 space tabstop, but now I can't
find a reference to back up that claim.

Hence the inquiry about adding setq tab-width, [and implicitly
indent-tabs-mode too).  As more and more modelines get added, I was
just thinking that it might be nice to have as many common editors
covered as reasonably possible instead of adding some now and having
to go back again to add more later.

Can modelines be at the top of a file?  The boiler plate copyright
notice from doc/README.developer might be a good place to put it.

I really like the modelines too; I guess I'm also lazy.

Or prefer to work smarter than harder :)