Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: tshark vs dumpcap

From: Shawn T Carroll <shawnthomascarroll () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 07:57:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Stuart, I have heard (but not seen myself) that dumpcap has the lowest
possibility for bugs or security holes, because it is purely for saving
packet captures, and doesn't have code to parse/filter as does tshark,
tcpdump, or wireshark.  So I have heard it's a good choice for security
reasons or for stability for long-term capture, not sure about for performance.  Good question, I'm curious to
see what others say.

Shawn