Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Nettl HP-UX

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:11:23 -0700

On Jun 19, 2011, at 3:51 PM, Andrej van der Zee wrote:

I just found the nettl files I am facing have packets with two
different encapsulation types:
* Ethernet with nettl headers
* Raw IP with nettl headers

Is there a way to convert either Ethernet to Raw IP or visa versa so
that I end up with one encapsulation type?

Well, there are two possibilities here:

        1) use pcap-ng, and convert "Ethernet with nettl headers" to Ethernet and convert "Raw IP with nettl headers"
to raw IP by discarding the nettl headers in both cases;

        2) use pcap, and convert "Ethernet with nettl headers" to raw IP by discarding the nettl headers, discarding
packets with a length field rather than a linktype and with Ethertypes other that 0x0800 and 0x86dd, and discarding the
Ethernet header, and convert "Raw IP with nettl headers" to raw IP by discarding the nettl headers.