Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: non-ASCII characters

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:07:32 -0700

On 1/20/11 10:00 AM, Andreas wrote:
Am 19.01.2011 21:21, schrieb Guy Harris:

On Jan 19, 2011, at 12:14 PM, Andreas wrote:

I write a dissector for a protocol that transport measurement values
for pressure and temperature and so on. I would like to display the
values with proto_tree_add_float() with the correct unit. But the °C
symbol as well as µA is not displayed correctly.

Is there a way display this character set specific characters in
Wireshark? How should I encode these characters that the GTK UI
displays the nice "°C" so that I can avoid "degrees centigrade"?

Try encoding them in UTF-8 (*NOT* UTF-16/UCS-2!); that might work.
Yes it might, but this depends on the current editor I use on different
workstations. And the fiddling with the editor settings is cumbersome.

Of course, getting the Windows C compiler to like it is another matter.
You might have to explicitly encode it, e.g. "\302\260C" for "°C".
I would prefer the escape string "\xC2\xB0" anyway, since it's not only
a question of the compiler as the version control system incl. diff
viewer is also part of the tool chain.

You might want to add entries for the units you need to
gtk/utf8_entities.h (and if we're going to use UTF-8 entities in
dissectors we might want to move that file out of the GTK directory).