Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark runtime error in readin TCPDump trace

From: Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:58:31 -0600

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:21:49PM -0700, Alireza Attar wrote:

I have tried both a Windows based machine and a linux machine to read
the file. However in both cases after about 19%-20% of data is read
the Wireshark crashes with runtime error message. Is this related to
the size of the trace I am reading, memory issue on my machine or an
error in the trace. Any feedback is appreciated.

You're probably just running out of memory.  I've loaded 46% of that
file so far (752MB) and it's cosuming 3.5GB of RAM.  See this web page
for more details: http://wiki.wireshark.org/KnownBugs/OutOfMemory