Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: INTERLINK dissector plugin added

From: Ed Beroset <beroset () mindspring com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:57:50 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Aniruddha A <aniruddha.a () gmail com> wrote:

How to decide whether a dissector has to be a plugin or a build-in ?
Is it based on the code size ?
I have also created a plugin (based on a protocol which is in draft
state in IETF)
and the code size is small, I was about to raise patch request on bugzilla,
but after seeing this post, I am wondering whether to add it to epan/dissectors
as a single file and then upload the patch.

I once had the same question, but then I found the answer in the Wireshark Developers Guide (
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html/#ChSrcCodeRequirements )

"Submit dissectors as build-in whenever possible. Developing a new dissector as a plugin is a good idea because
compiling is quicker, but it's best to convert dissectors to the build-in style before submitting for checkin. This
reduces the number of files that must be installed with Wireshark and ensures your dissector will be available on all
platforms."

Ed