Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: tshark memory

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:35:04 -0800

On Jan 19, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Abhijit Bare wrote:

I have a problem with tshark memory usage. I need to use tshark for a read filter. However, it looks like tshark
reads in the entire input file in memory. Is this correct?

No, it is not.  Neither Wireshark nor TShark read the entire input file into memory.

When it reassembles fragmented/segmented/etc. packets, however, the content of the reassembled packets *is* kept in
memory.