Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Routines for registering dissectors with a"portnumber", and looking up dissectors by "port number", renamed

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:46:03 -0800

On Dec 20, 2010, at 9:45 AM, news.gmane.com wrote:

So this change to trunk will not affect 1.4.x, will it?

The change to trunk will *not* be backported to 1.4.x; the only way it could possibly affect 1.4.x would be if it were
backported.  That's why I won't add it to the list of changes to be backported.

BTW: When you only rename a function as you announce in this list it can be
still compatible with older DLLs. You need to create an alias in the DEF
file:

What's a "DEF file"?

        $ uname -sr
        Darwin 10.5.0

:-)

That translates to "Hi, I'm a Mac." :-)  Windows isn't the only OS on which Wireshark runs, so a Windows-only
technique, such as aliases in the DEF file, won't work; neither will a Mac OS X-only technique such as the -alias_list
option to ld, or a GNU-ld-only technique, or a Solaris-linker-only technique, or....