Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: data link type option in wireshark

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:53:58 -0700

On Aug 17, 2010, at 11:28 PM, upendra.allu () wipro com wrote:

I have a query on data link type option in Wireshark.
While decoding packets in Wireshark, we have an option to select the data link type (ex. Ethernet) for decoding the
plug-ins.

To what option are you referring?  The "Decode As" option from the "Analyze" menu, which lets you select, for a given
Ethernet type, a protocol (regardless of whether the protocol's dissector is a plugin or a built-in) to use as the
protocol for that Ethernet type?

Now my question is, is it possible to decode the protocols directly without data link?

If you mean "I have a plugin for Ethernet type XXXX, can I make it the official protocol for Ethernet type XXXX, so
that I don't have to use 'Decode As' to make Wireshark dissect packets of Ethernet type XXXX with my plugin", the
answer is "yes" - you just have to have the handoff-registration routine in your plugin do

        dissector_add("ethertype", XXXX, my_dissector_handle);

XXXX here would probably be a hex number, for example 0x8048 if the Ethernet type for your protocol is hex 8048.

(If that's not what you mean, you'll have to explain what you mean.)