Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: "consistent" indentation and tabstop=8

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:27:53 -0400

Bill Meier wrote:
Jakub Zawadzki wrote:
Hi,

Why there's tabstop=8, but file is indented with 2 spaces?
How should <tab> key works in these files?

If you want to mark that \t in files are bad, let at least set
softtabstop=2 to make using <tab> sane.

Without starting any new discussion, my only intent is that any tabs in
a Wireshark source file are always displayed as going to a column
position of 9, 17, ... (where the left-most column is numbered as 1).

Thanks for doing that, by the way.  I wanted to do it myself but was
afraid of starting a war. ;-)

(Until someone tells me how to tell all the terminal programs that I use
that tabs don't occupy the same room as 8 spaces--so that things like
'cat' and 'less' show the same indenting as <insert your editor here>--I
will be a fervent believer that tab characters should move the cursor 8
spaces.)