Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: "consistent" indentation and tabstop=8

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames () darkjames ath cx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 00:13:09 +0200

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 02:57:48PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:

On Apr 28, 2010, at 1:53 PM, Jakub Zawadzki wrote:

Why there's tabstop=8, but file is indented with 2 spaces?
How should <tab> key works in these files?

If you want to mark that \t in files are bad, let at least set
softtabstop=2 to make using <tab> sane.

(I.e., our source code style should not make *any* assumptions about the behavior and capabilities
of the editor that any particular developer uses, as we should not impose any requirements
(other than "handles ASCII") on editors.)

Well, we already have modelines in our source code, so I assume we want to make editing in vim and emacs easier.