WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: concurrent logins

From: Robin Wood <robin@digi.ninja>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:23:10 +0000

On 19 November 2014 14:27, Aaron Sanders <malmoose37 () gmail com> wrote:
Just thinking out loud (still haven't had coffee yet) but what about second
factor? Is that in scope for this question? I would think you can allow all
the concurrent sessions a user wants as long as all of them were validated
with second factor.  If an adversary can compromise the second factor source
then there are bigger issues. Though I suppose a session hijack is still
possible after the dual auth. To cover that case, what about source ip
tracking? Session tokens don't normally travel across systems so if the ip
changes then user needs to re-auth.

The reason I was thinking about this is the thing I was reading was
suggesting to prevent session hijacking that concurrent logins should
not be allowed, 2FA stops actual logins but not hijacks.

Tying sessions to source IP can be a problem when users are on
networks that can switch egress IP.

Robin

-Aaron