WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: SMS protection

From: Marcel Tudorache <marceltudorache () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 15:55:25 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Fyodor, Dea all,

First of all I would like to thank you very much for your answers.
I have the same feeling that I have that SMS as such is good but has certain weaknesses. This is why I'm trying to
understand which are these residual risks.

It is true that the SMS will go through the network of the SMS provider... but I thought that it is not very easy to
break into it, I guess that each mobile phone operator has certain security measures in place already, so that
unauthorised access is prevented. I know that the reality is harsh and that there is no 100% security and that there
are always certain risks.

Assuming that the mobile phone provider has taken at least some security measures for online attacks from the outside:
firewalls, antivirus, access control... is it that easy to tap into the communications between two providers and read
the traffic?(including the SMSes sent from one provide to another?).

I udnerstood that the A5/1 is not supposed to be in use anymore. I hope that this is what you were refering to when you
mentioned "and this part of the crypto is known to be flawed as well)."

I'm also trying to understand the effort that an attacker would have to put in to manage to read the SMS-es, is it easy
for any attacker, is it more like state sponsored attacks?

Thank you,
Marcel