WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Compliance VS Pen-Test and there relative value

From: "Rivest, Philippe" <PRivest () transforce ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 15:24:54 -0400

I'm a bit surprised as to all the feedbacks I'm getting. Everyone who answers
me is reducing the value of a compliant company if you check it security
wise. But on the other hand you all seem to praise the pen-test a lot.

I know that if a client is compliant with standard XYZ it may still be
insure, vulnerable to a lot of exploits and so on. I know it could be
penetrated with ease. But take this picture I'm new to auditing and my
experience is pretty much book wise (ISACA, Cobit, COSO, SOX, CISA), how ever
I only see good with compliance, SOX and COBIT/COSO (keeping to IT). Here I
am out of my books and everyone is taking doing compliance. What did I not
get?

Are you taking down compliance because its hard to get properly set within a
company?

Please explain and help me get why compliance has a low reputation and
pen-test is so great *(I know the difference between them)

Merci / Thanks
Philippe Rivest, CEH, Network+, Server+, A+
Vérificateur interne en sécurité de l'information
Courriel: Privest () transforce ca
Téléphone: (514) 331-4417
www.transforce.ca

Vous pourriez imprimer ce courriel, mais faire pousser un arbre c'est long.
You could print this email, but it does takes a long time to grow trees.
"Everything that can fail, will fail. If something can't fail, it will fail
anyway" - Murphy