WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web Pen Test Honeypot

From: "James Landis" <jcl24 () cornell edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:56:10 -0700

Most security tools are tuned to find issues in commonly-known sites
like Webgoat and the vendor test sites. Hence, that might not be your
best target for evaluation. You could try the OWASP SiteGenerator
project for alternate data.

If you're evaluating run-time testing tools for just one site or a set
of sites that you or your company maintain, you can't do any better
than testing the tools against your own code since that's what you'll
be doing long-term, anyway. If you're concerned that the tools aren't
finding anything and you're getting a lot of false negatives, get the
vendors involved in the configuration + crawl phase or find an expert
in the open-source tool you're evaluating and hire them for some
consulting hours.

-j