WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Session security with cookies

From: Till Elsner <till.elsner () uni-duesseldorf de>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:48:48 +0100

Hi Aaron,

sorry if I didn't define the problem clearly enough. The only thing I'm talking about is session cookies, I just want to identify the user from login to logout. Short lifetimes for the cookie shouldn't be a problem. The environment would be the worst to think of, namely the internet. The is why I can't rely on the clients to secure their data. The data are client information in an online shop, so it includes some sensible data as well as things like shopping cards. All I want is to create cookies that will be unusable for a potential thief, since I guess I haven't the means to ensure the cookie won't be stolen from the clients computer. So basically my only question is if a short lifetime is the only way to protect me (and the client and its data) from the misuse of stolen cookies (at least for the time after the cookie has expired).

Till