WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [Webappsec] Tacking A Difficult Problem - Solutions HTTP Response Splitting

From: Amit Klein <aksecurity () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 02:42:45 +0200

Arian J. Evans wrote:
<inline>
On 4/20/07, *Amit Klein* <aksecurity () gmail com <mailto:aksecurity () gmail com>> wrote:

    Arian J. Evans wrote:
    > Q: "How?"
    > Scanner Jockey: ...
    > <Blink>

    Okay, I think I understand what scanner folks mean. The thing is, HTTP
    Response Splitting can be viewed as a special case of a wider attack -
HTTP Response Header injection. Through the latter attack, you can No, I mean, people think they are injecting a header into *the* response.

They do!

Consider a situation like this: you have an injection point in the Location response header of a 302 response. You inject:
foo%0d%0aSet-Cookie:%20bar=baz

The net result is a 302 response e.g.:

HTTP/1.1 302 Redirect
Location: foo
Set-Cookie: bar=baz

So cookie setting it is, through HTTP response header injection. Naturally the scanners recognize this as (also) HTTP Response Splitting (you could inject a whole new response in there). Hence the confusion.