WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Protecting posted variables

From: mikeiscool <michaelslists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:02:44 +1000

Outside of encrypting in SSL, how can variables being posted from the browser back to
the server be protected from prying eyes?

encrypt it yourself? but you'll also need to provide a decryption tool
for the client side. this can be javascript (google for javascrypt
from fourmilab), but really, why not use ssl?

During previous pentests, I've seen variables being posted to a webserver (IIS6.0 is  one I
remember this with) all hashed together. I don't think that any special client-side software
was used, it was a function of the site....

well hashing it won't help at all. you can't reverse a hash.

-- mic