WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Protecting posted variables

From: Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 07:52:11 +0200

billy.sailing () gmail com wrote:
Hey all,

A 'fixing the problem question'...

Outside of encrypting in SSL, how can variables being posted from the
browser back to the server be protected from prying eyes?

During previous pentests, I've seen variables being posted to a
webserver (IIS6.0 is  one I remember this with) all hashed together.
I don't think that any special client-side software was used, it was
a function of the site....

Can anyone help in identifying what it was that I saw in operation? -
The only solution I can see is that it was the AspKeepSessionIDSecure
Metabase Property

(ref:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/0d49cbc8-10e1-4fa8-ba61-c34e524a3ae6.mspx?mfr=true)

with the variables posted in with the sessionid?

Also, is this type of solution available in any other webserver?

Any help gratefully recieved...

Thanks..

The only way that you'd get this effect is with some kind of client software. That software could be JavaScript (e.g. implementations of MD5, or RSA, etc are available with a little searching), or a Java applet, or ActiveX control.

But other than these mechanisms, there is no standard way of encrypting/manipulating the form values before they are sent, that I know of.

Regards,

Rogan