WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Cookies as the second factor

From: "Matt Fisher" <mfisher () spidynamics com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:45:22 -0400

I'm skeptical of any activities like this occurring on the client, and
greatly scrutinize them when testing.

I once did a .mil that never sent the pw over the wire; it sent a hash
instead.  Sounds okay at first blush, but in reality the hash became the
new password; they were fooling themselves.

Call me old-fashioned, call me conservative, risk-adverse,
non-progressive, whatever you want ... two factor to me (at this point
in time) doesn't include client side tricks.