WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Cookies as the second factor

From: Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:54:02 +0200

Robin Wood wrote:
Javascript could be used to generate the cookie which is then passed
back to the server with each request. This would save having to make
sure a value was posted or passed on the query string on each request.

Don't have time to think about how good this would be for
authentication but I think techincally it can be done.

Robin

That is actually quite an interesting approach to using a session identifier.

On the positive side, it means that you never send your password to the server. Depending on how clever your client-side javascript is, you may not even need to store the clear-text password on the server side (for verification purposes)

On the down side, it might expose you to session fixation attacks.

Regardless, I'd say that that cookie would then qualify as "something you know", rather than "something you have", since it is created based on your username and password.

Regards,

Rogan