WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Open Source Application Vulnerability Assessment Tools

From: Stephen de Vries <stephen () corsaire com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:05:09 +0700

Hi Allen,

On 28 Sep 2006, at 02:40, Brokken, Allen P. wrote:

On this list we talk a lot about various vendor provided tools quite a
bit. In general it appears most solutions are Windows-centric in their
installation even if they work against multiple platforms.

With the prevalence of LAMP systems I would figure there must be some
means of doing a security assessment on their applications with native
tools.  It seems odd to me that there isn't a NESSUS equivalent for
application testing.  I'm wondering what is available from the Open
Source community in the way of

* Black Box web assessment software

- Paros (www.parosproxy.org) - Java based, does automated spidering and scanning - WebScarab (www.owasp.org) - Java based, more manual approach, very flexible and includes a beanshell console
- Burp (http://www.portswigger.net/proxy/)
- Odysseus proxy http://www.wastelands.gen.nz/odysseus/index.php
- Spike proxy http://www.immunitysec.com/resources-freesoftware.shtml
- and many more

* Source code assessment software

- LAPSE Source code analysis, for scanning Java applications
(http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_LAPSE_Project)
- Findbugs, Checkstyle, PMD (you can google them), all source code analysis tools for finding common Java software bugs, have some elementary security tests but are fully customisable so you can easily write your own signatures.

regards,

--
Stephen de Vries
Corsaire Ltd