WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Environment for testing WebApp Security Scanners

From: "Roman H." <ref66 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 03:54:13 -0700 (PDT)

René,

You might want to consider looking at the OWASP SiteGenerator project (coded by Dinis Cruz and sponsored by
Foundstone).  It has tried to tackle the exact problem that you are working on.  So I would suggest that you make use
of it in your research, and perhaps build on Dinis' work to improve SiteGenerator (maybe reach a 1.0 version?).  What
everyone would really love to see is some actual published results against a test suite, but it's not likely you will
convince any vendors to let you do that.

WebGoat is probably not the best app for your purposes, since it's designed to be a tutorial and doesn't resemble a
real-world business application (i.e. the market for scanners).  Besides, I would bet that many of the scanners have
specifically coded signatures for WebGoat.  On the other hand, SiteGenerator can be easily reconfigured to have a
different sitemap with new custom vulnerabilities so it never looks the same to a scanner.

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Owasp_SiteGenerator

Cheers,

Roman Hustad