WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Two-Factor Authentication on the Web

From: RSD <rsd () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:31:08 +0000

My company does online loan applications. Various agencies and customers have demanded we comply with FFIEC
guidelines[0] regarding two-factor authentication.  Now the guidance describes many different types of factors that
could be used, such as Tokens/Biometric/Out-of-Band/etc.

Now the specs I've received from our analysts indicate they have chosen the 'shared secret' as a second factor. It's a
secret question like 'What is your favorite food?' that is supposed to augment the existing username and password.

Here's the problem -- a password is also one considered a shared secret -- so this isn't really two-factor, more like 2
one-factors.  Since the factors have identical characteristics, if one is compromised, the other will surely follow.

Now the guidance doesn't see that as a problem: "The use of multiple shared secrets also provides increased security
because more than one secret must be known to authenticate."  Seems to me if an attacker found a password written on a
post-it note, they'd  find "cookies" as well.

Now I can see why this route was chosen -- most of the other factors require some hardware -- and distributing any sort
of physical device is not an option.

My questions:
-Is my analysis correct?
-Are multiple shared secrets any more secure?
-What viable solutions are there?
Thanks!

[0] http://www.ffiec.gov/pdf/authentication_guidance.pdf

--