WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Is logoff feature necessary

From: "Deepu Thomas Philip" <deepu.philip () paladion net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 15:26:11 +0530

I would say it to be wrong!!!!

Some of the many issues would be as follows:

1. What if the user forgets to close the window? -> Then the session would
be kept alive
2. If there is no 'Logout' then the data is always visible when the browser
is kept alive.
3. Suppose another instance of the same browser is created? Then the session
is kept alive till all the browsers are closed.

If logout button was not necessary then I would say that definitely mail
sites such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail would not have it. They could also
follow with the process of browser closure. But that is not the case !!!!

All in all . A logout button has to be there .

And the best recommendation for a high profile application would be auto
closure of the browser when logout is issued.

Regards,
Deepu Thomas Philip
PALADION NETWORKS
--