WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Suggestion: email anti-spoof measure on web site

From: ma.huijuan () gmail com
Date: 18 Jan 2006 09:29:50 -0000

We often find web pages with the feature to freely (without authentication) send emails to anybody you specify. For
organsizations who have implemented anti-spoof measures on email servers, this opens up a loophole for spammers to send
spoofed emails.

Suggestion: For organizations who are concerned about spoofed email, the feature of sending emails without
authentication should be removed on all their web sites.

I believe this should also be included in OWASP guide.

Anybody has any objection on this suggestion? Do let me know, thanks.